Francis Augustus Bevan (1840-1919), was the second son of Robert Cooper Lee Bevan (1809-1890). Educated at Harrow, he was admitted as a partner in Barclay, Bevan, Tritton and Co of Lombard Street in 1859, and succeeded his father as senior partner in the business. When Barclays merged with a group of mostly private banks in 1896 to become a joint stock enterprise, Bevan thus became the last senior partner of the private bank and the first Chairman of the new bank, Barclay and Company Limited.
He presided over the rapid growth of the bank which became one of the ‘Big Five’ clearers in Britain. During his tenure Barclays acquired a further suite of provincial banks to achieve much wider national coverage, and deposits rose from £26 million to over £100 million. He stepped down as Chairman at the end of 1916, by then being in his mid-seventies, but remained on the board until his death. He had also served as a local director in the Lombard Street district. He was widowed three times.
Francis Bevan was an evangelical Anglican, and exemplified the Barclays tradition of giving generously to charities and missions. He also served as Lieutenant for the City of London, a JP, and as High Sheriff of Middlesex.