Group Archives

Group Archives

search

This is the name of the partnership that resulted from the merger in 1888 between Barclay, Bevan, Tritton and Co and Ransom, Bouverie and Co. The business was extended outside London in 1894 when the Brighton Union Bank was acquired. Because of the number of names in the title it was sometimes referred to in the City as 'the long firm.' The firm acted as London agents for a number of country banks. In 1896 it was the lead bank, along with the Gurney partnerships and Jonathan Backhouse and Co, in the establishment of Barclay and Co Ltd as a new joint stock bank.

Material available at Group Archives: extensive partners' records, being a continuation of the pre-1888 records (see Barclay, Bevan, Tritton, Ransom, Bouverie and Co, Lombard Street); amalgamation papers 1888-96.