Group Archives

Group Archives

search

The historic core of the present Barclays Group, this private bank traces its ancestry to John Freame and Thomas Gould, two Quaker goldsmiths who started a business in the heart of the City at Lombard Street in London. There were numerous changes to the partnership, but the predominant names were Barclay (the first partner of that name had entered the Bank by 1736), Bevan (1767) and Tritton (1782). In 1888 the first 'branch' was acquired through the amalgamation with Ransom, Bouverie and Co of Pall Mall. The resulting partnership was known as Barclay, Bevan, Tritton, Ransom, Bouverie and Co.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • partnership agreements 1780 onwards
  • partners' ledgers 1787 onwards
  • letter-book 1812-16
  • J.G Barclay's in-letters 1823-90
  • a continuous run of balance books 1730s onwards (with figures for named customers including loan records)
  • balance sheets 1890s
  • discount ledgers 1729-33 and 1768-1875
  • current account ledgers 1840-51
  • customer reference book 1814-44
  • signature books 1830 onwards
  • securities register 1880s
  • safe custody registers 1798 onwards
  • staff records 1826 onwards
  • David Barclay and Sons settlement book 1750s
  • examples of promissory notes, bills of exchange and cheques late 1700s onwards