Group Archives

Group Archives

search

This private bank was started in London in 1801. The full names of the original partners are unknown, but in 1846, the firm consisted of Matthias Attwood and John Twells trading as Spooner, Attwoods and Co. The bank continued until 1863 when it was taken over by Barclay, Bevan, Tritton and Co. At this time, Philip Twells entered the partnership hence the name Barclay, Bevan, Tritton, Twells and Co. There was also a Birmingham bank named Attwoods, Spooner and Co. organised by three members of the Attwoods which started in 1815. The two Attwood banks acted independently of each other and the Birmingham business failed in 1865.

Material available at Group Archives: country account ledgers mid-1800s.