Group Archives

Group Archives

search

This partnership was founded in 1786 at Pall Mall by Griffin Ransom, a member of the Morland family (name not documented), and Thomas Hammersley. In 1818, the then named Morland, Ransom and Co partnership was dissolved to form Ransom and Co and Morlands, Auriol and Co, with the latter failing in 1832. Ransom and Co prospered and in 1856 took over the neighbouring bank of Bouverie, Murdoch, Bouverie and Co to become Ransom, Bouverie and Co. In 1888, Ransom, Bouverie and Co amalgamated with Barclay, Bevan, Tritton and Co, the resulting partnership having the extended name of Barclay, Bevan, Tritton, Ransom, Bouverie and Co.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • partnership agreements 1785 onwards
  • partners' ledgers 1798 onwards
  • memorandum books 1819-91
  • customer ledgers (some gaps)
  • correspondence 1783-1888
  • liquidations account records
  • securities papers 1760 onwards
  • examples of pass books
  • cheques
  • amalgamation papers