Group Archives

Group Archives

search

Brighthelmstone Bank (Brighthelmstone is the original name for Brighton), was established at North Street, Brighton in 1787 by Messrs Shergold, Michell, Rice and Mills. The business was transferred to Wigney, Rickman, Stanford and Vallance and finally became Wigney and Co. In 1842, the bank suspended payment. Mr West of Brighton Union Bank was appointed assignee for the creditors, though there was no other connection between the two businesses.

Material available at Group Archives: examples of its currency.