Group Archives

Group Archives

search

Backhouse and Co was formally established circa 1774 in Darlington by James Backhouse and his eldest son Jonathan. They were originally linen and worsted manufacturers who extended banking facilities to neighbouring tradesmen and farmers. James's journal confirms that he was already providing banking services as early as 1756. Despite the volatile financial climate during the nineteenth century, the bank prospered and was one of the lead banks in the 1896 amalgamation with Barclays.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • partnership agreements 1812 onwards
  • partners' ledgers 1801 onwards (including estates and branch statistics)
  • balance books 1802-52 (including non-banking businesses) papers regarding Darlington property
  • accounts and papers regarding J Backhouse and Co's textiles business 1746 onwards (including toll accounts)
  • list of subscribers and agreement for Stockton-Darlington railway 1819-21
  • agreement regarding steam engine for linen manufacture 1790
  • papers regarding James Backhouse's tours in the North East and trips to London and Ireland 1750-79 (including Quaker matters)
  • bad debts 1797-1860
  • declaration of confidence in the bank 1816
  • partners' correspondence early 19th century including with London agents (Barclays)
  • papers regarding Friends Meeting House at Darlington
  • banking apprenticeship indentures 1790s
  • examples of bank notes (including papers regarding forgeries)
  • bank staff lists and salary records 1828 onwards
  • cheques and promissory notes
  • amalgamation papers