Group Archives

Group Archives

search

The oldest country bank in the Barclays Group, Alexanders and Co, East Anglian Bank, was opened in 1744 by Samual Alexander at Needham Market, to cater for local farmers. Alexander was a Quaker with interests in the corn and iron trade, and had connections with the Gurney family through a relation's marriage. The Ipswich Bank prospered under a variety of titles until 1878 when it amalgamated with Gurneys and Co of Norwich. The firm of Gurneys, Alexanders, Birkbeck, Barclay, Buxton and Kerrison was one of the private banks that merged to create Barclay and Co Ltd in 1896. The Woodbridge branch of the Ipswich Bank was opened in 1804, with Hadleigh, Manningtree, and Sudbury following later.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • partnership agreement 1878
  • partners' ledgers 1820 onwards
  • balance books 1840-42
  • balance sheets 1869 onwards
  • securities register 1788-1832
  • papers regarding the failure of Overend, Gurney
  • legal opinions 1822-59
  • runs of customer ledgers (Ipswich 1776-1881; Needham Market 1802-76; Woodbridge 1805-71)
  • in-letters 1837 onwards
  • examples of pass books,cheques and bank notes
  • photographs of partners mid 1800s