Group Archives

Group Archives

search

The Colchester Bank was opened in 1787 under the name of Crickitt (sometimes spelled as Crickett) and Co, which became Crickitt and Round in 1790 when George Round entered the firm. There is also evidence of banking being provided by the Crickitts and Charles Whaley as early as 1774. In lieu of new partners the bank also traded as Round, Green and Co and Round, Green, Hoare and Co. In 1891, the Colchester Bank was united with the Gurney group of banks; the bank thus became known as Gurneys, Round, Green and Co (Gurneys and Co).

Material available at Group Archives: early partners' accounts and customer ledgers including pre 1800 ledgers; amalgamation papers.