Group Archives

Group Archives

search

The Halesworth and Suffolk Bank was established in 1782 as Gurneys and Turner. It was under the management of the Yarmouth Bank where James Turner, a merchant who imported iron from Sweden, was a partner. His younger son James became a partner in the new Halesworth bank. He died in 1820 and his place was taken by Ambrose Lloyd and the title of the bank changed to Turner, Brightwen and Lloyd. When Ambrose died, he was succeeded by David Lloyd who died in 1839 and was the last resident partner. Andrew Johnston was appointed agent in 1839 and served until 1862. In 1896 when the bank became part of Barclays the partners were H E Buxton, C S Orde, F E Babington, A R Buxton and G F Buxton.

Material available at Group Archives: bank notes and cheques.