Group Archives

Group Archives

search

The Fakenham Bank was opened in 1792 by the Gurneys with John Birkbeck of Lynn and Joseph Peckover as their partners. Peckover had acted previously as agent for the Gurneys. In 1816, he resigned from the partnership and was replaced by Charles Buxton, the title of the bank changing to Gurneys, Birkbeck and Buxton. Charles Buxton retired in 1817 and was replaced as managing partner by Abraham Rawlinson, when the title again changed to Gurneys, Birkbeck and Rawlinson. Rawlinson died in 1829. At the 1896 merger Fakenham became part of Barclays' new Kings Lynn local head office.

Material available at Group Archives: partners' ledgers 1793-1839; examples of cheques and bills of exchange; bank note registers.