Group Archives

Group Archives

search

The bank was founded in 1812 by five Quakers: Peter and John Dollin Bassett, John Grant, William Exton and John Sharples. The partnership was known as Bassett and Grant (1827) and Bassett, Son and Harris (1854), the latter persisting until 1896 when the bank amalgamated to join Barclay and Co Ltd.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • partners' agreements and ledgers 1812 onwards
  • meeting minutes 1820s
  • customer ledgers 1819-50
  • premises papers
  • correspondence 1855 onwards
  • balance books 1839 onwards
  • balance sheets 1889 onwards
  • examples of cheques
  • amalgamation papers