Group Archives

Group Archives

search

Also known as Saffron Walden and North Essex Bank, or Saffron Walden and Bishop's Stortford Bank, the partnership was established in 1824 by the Gibsons, a prominent local brewing family, and in 1826 it acquired the failed business of another local bank, Searle and Co. In 1863, William Murray Tuke, a partner in the renowned Quaker tea merchant firm, joined the bank at the invitation of the surviving partner (and Tuke's brother-in-law) George Gibson, this being the main source of the Tuke family's long connection with banking and the Barclays Group. From 1880 the firm was closely connected with Fordham, Gibson and Co of Royston. In 1896, the bank joined the amalgamation to create Barclay and Co Ltd.

Material available at Group Archives: partners' ledgers 1867 onward; bank note register 1831-71.