Group Archives

Group Archives

search

Founded in 1808 as Fordham, Flower and Co, the original partners being Edward Fordham, John Fordham and Richard Flower, the latter name disappearing from the partnership after 1825. In 1880, the bank changed its name after an arrangement between Henry and Francis Fordham, William Tuke and Edmund Birch Gibson, by which it was associated with the Saffron Walden Bank of Gibson, Tuke and Gibson, the two partnerships presenting a joint balance sheet. In 1896 it was one of the founding banks in the amalgamation to create Barclay and Co Ltd, at which time the partners were Frederick Fordham, Francis Fordham, William Tuke, Edmund Birch Gibson and Edmund Wyatt Gibson.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • partners' agreements and ledgers 1878 onwards
  • balance sheets 1883 onwards
  • cheques
  • amalgamation papers