This firm was founded by John Mortlock in 1780 as the first bank in Cambridge. Inheriting a profitable cloth merchant business, capital and considerable landed property on the death of his father, John adopted the additional role of banker to his business. The bank proved popular within the county as the journey to London, with its attendant threat of highwaymen, could now be avoided. The Mortlocks were also prominent in local politics. In 1889, the firm was incorporated under the Companies Acts as John Mortlock and Co Ltd and in 1896 was one of twenty banks that amalgamated to form Barclay and Co Ltd, being the only joint stock bank in the merger.
Material available at Group Archives:
- partners' ledgers 1855 onwards
- board minutes 1889 onwards
- share ledgers 1889 onwards
- customer ledgers 1798-1807
- examples of bank notes, cheques and pass books
- amalgamation papers