The Huntingdon Town and County Bank was established under the title of Rust, Sweeting and Veasey in 1804. The financial crisis of 1825-6 witnessed the failure of the firms of Rix, Graham and Inkersole (St Neots), and of Hollick (St Ives). This event, along with the later failure of another Huntingdon bank allowed Rust and Veasey to open agencies at St Neots, St Ives and Ramsey. The bank continued to prosper and admitted new partners, its name changing accordingly: Veasey, Desborough, Chapman and Henderson (1857); Veasey, Desborough, Bevan and Tillard (1865) and Veasey, Desborough, Bevan, Tillard and Co (1872). By 1896 the firm was known as Veasey and Co. and was the second smallest of the banks in the merger that created Barclay and Co Ltd in that year.
Material available at Group Archives:
- partners' records including agreements 1850s-70s
- ledgers 1831 onwards
- balance books 1808, 1821
- securities records 1858-67
- customer ledgers 1804-21
- amalgamation papers