Group Archives

Group Archives

search

This bank was established in 1788 as a partnership between shipowners and merchants John Bell, John Woodall, James Tindall and Gawan Taylor. Although each partner only subscribed £500 capital, the partners were able to issue a large number of notes amounting to over £20,000, no doubt drawing from personal wealth. The bank proved capable of withstanding the financial panics that led to the failure of many firms during the early nineteenth century, and duly prospered. In 1840, the firm was described as The Old Bank, Messrs Woodall, Tindall, Hebden and Co. The firm was the smallest of the banks that merged in 1896 to form Barclay and Co Ltd.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • waste books 1794-1816
  • customer accounts 1788-91
  • bank note registers 1821 onwards
  • amalgamation papers