Group Archives

Group Archives

search

Established in 1818 as a partnership between Robert Spence, a draper of North Shields, and Edward and William Chapman of Whitby, all three being Quakers. Business commenced 1 January 1819 leading to expansion and prosperity. In 1836, the bank converted to a joint stock company called the Newcastle, Shields and Sunderland Union (see separate entry).

Material available at Group Archives: partnership deed.