Group Archives

Group Archives

search

Business opened in 1829 with Sir William Chaytor, John Frankland and James Wilkinson as partners. There were branches at Sunderland, Durham, Whitby and occasionally at Bishop Auckland. In 1838, the partners were induced to sell the business to the Newcastle, Shields, and Sunderland Union joint stock bank, (newly created from the private bank of Chapman and Co), 'partly because some of the partners were getting up in age.'

No records of this bank have come to Group Archives.