Group Archives

Group Archives

search

This bank was formed as a joint stock company in 1836 to continue the business of Hutton, Other and Co, the Richmond and Swaledale Bank. With its head office at Richmond, four other branches were established: Bedale (by 1834); Hawes (by January 1838); Leyburn (prior to 1803) and Masham (1875). In 1899 the bank was acquired by the recently formed Barclay and Co Ltd.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • partnership agreements 1802 onwards
  • deed of settlement 1837
  • annual reports and accounts 1837 onwards (some gaps)
  • registers of shareholders
  • deposit ledger 1837-53
  • staff correspondence 1845-71
  • examples of cheques and bank notes