Group Archives

Group Archives

search

The Chichester Bank began trading as Hack, Dendy, Hack and Farendon in 1809. The bank consisted of four partners who each put up £2,500. The firm underwent a number of title changes in the following years, reflecting the comings and goings of the various partners. The name Milbanke, Woodbridge, Gruggen and Gauntlett prevailed from 1892 until the amalgamation on April 1st 1900 with Barclay and Co Ltd. The Chichester Bank had not conducted business beyond the Chichester area nor opened any branches and was one of the smallest acquisitions made by Barclays.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • a comprehensive series of customer ledgers 1809 onwards
  • partners' agreements and ledgers 1810 onwards
  • letter-book 1818-76
  • balance books 1827-72
  • balance sheets 1875-94
  • clerks' bonds 1835-62
  • letters regarding misdemeanours 1880s
  • bank note registers 1861-95
  • examples of cheques
  • amalgamation papers