Oxford Old Bank was established in 1771 by William Fletcher and Herbert Parsons, described as men's mercers. The title of Old Bank seems to have been acquired when a second bank, the University and City Bank, opened in Oxford 1790. The Old Bank survived the many financial crises of the 19th century and became a major Oxford institution. The firm's title became Robinson, Parsons and Co., and then from 1848, Parsons, Thomson, Parsons and Co until its amalgamation with Barclay and Co Ltd in 1900. The Thomson family subsequently provided Barclays with one of its most charismatic and astute executive chairmen, Sir John Thomson (1962-73).
Material available at Group Archives:
- series of customer ledgers for the 19th century
- accounts of original trade to 1775
- profit and loss ledgers
- bank note indemnities
- notebooks and subscriptions