Group Archives

Group Archives

search

The partnership formed in London in 1773 between John Pybus, John Hyde, George Dorsett and William Cockell, marks the origins of this firm. In 1785, the firm entered a new deed of partnership, Hyde and Dorsett having retired and John Call, John Grant and Paggen Hale being admitted. Each partner provided £5,000 and the bank became known as Pybus, Hale, Call and Grant. The new partners' connections with several Hertfordshire landowners and the India trade, secured the firm's viability. In 1858, the bank expanded to the country with its acquisition of the failed Unity Joint Stock Company Bank's St Albans branch, and in 1865 it merged with Herries, Farquhar and Co. The title Marten, Part and Co first appeared in 1898 and prevailed until the firm amalgamated with Barclay and Co Ltd in 1902.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • partnership agreements 1805-10
  • ledgers 1804-56
  • balance ledgers 1866 onwards
  • customer signature book 1857-98
  • ledgers 1857-65, 1901-02
  • examples of cheques
  • amalgamation papers