Group Archives

Group Archives

search

This bank was established by Sir John Lawson and Miles Stapleton around 1792, apparently responding to neighbours' requests to take charge of their savings. Although the Richmond Bank did not finance industry directly, the firm enjoyed a sound reputation. In 1868, the title Roper and Priestman was adopted and prevailed until the bank joined with Barclay and Co Ltd in 1902, one of the smallest of Barclays' acquisitions.

Material available in Group Archives: examples of cheques and bills.