Group Archives

Group Archives

search

This early country bank was founded by Joseph Pease, who had a flourishing linseed oil mill at Lowgate. As a successful and trustworthy businessman he acted as a banking intermediary for the citizens of Hull, and in 1754, started a bank. The bank was connected with Machell, Peases and Hoare of Beverley and with Richardson, Holt and Co of Whitby. In 1894, it was taken over by the York Union Bank which in turn became part of Barclays in 1902.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • partners' ledgers 1757-66
  • accounts for grain sales 1750s-60s
  • signature book 1858-79
  • bank notes and register 1871-93
  • cheques
  • bills of exchange