Group Archives

Group Archives

search

The origins of this bank are obscure. Traditionally it has been dated from 1797, though the Victoria County History for the East Riding (vol.6 p.118) refers to the opening of Appleton, Machell and Smiths, known as the Beverley Bank, in 1793. From circa 1858 the partnership was called Machell, Peases and Hoare. Joseph Pease, who established the Hull Bank, became a partner in the Beverley Bank too, probably in 1797. Both banks were taken over by the York Union Bank in 1894, which in turn merged with Barclays in 1902.

Material available in Group Archives: examples of bank notes and cheques.