The Staines Bank was established in 1796 with the partnership between Thomas Ashby and his sons Thomas II, Robert, William and Joseph. The title Thomas Ashby Senior and Sons was used from 1811. The family were also involved in other businesses as coal merchants, wharfingers, mealmen and later brewers. When Thomas Ashby died in 1813, the title of Thomas Ashby and Co was adopted and the recently failed business of Coggan, Morris and Co, the Middlesex and Surrey Bank, was acquired. The firm continued to prosper with 11 branches being opened, and in 1876 the business of La Coste and Co of Chertsey was acquired. The bank went through several changes of partnership, but was entirely a family bank, with every partner surnamed Ashby, until 1903 when the surviving partners decided to dispose of the bank. They rejected offers by other banks and, possibly because of their Quaker family tradition, approached Barclay and Co Ltd and came to terms with them. Ashbys and its branches amalgamated with Barclays as from 1 Jan 1904 and formed the new Windsor District of Barclays.
Material available in Group Archives: cheques; pass books.