Group Archives

Group Archives

search

This partnership was established by Thomas and George La Coste, mealmen, the firm being the first, and for many years the only bank in Chertsey. The title changed twice according to new partnerships: La Coste and Son (1845), and La Coste and Stikeman (1869). In 1876, the Chertsey Bank was sold to, and became a branch of, Thomas Ashby and Co. F B Stikeman was manager at Chertsey for the English Joint Stock Bank until its failure in May 1866; it is possible that La Coste and Co acquired this failed business and employed Stikeman who later became a partner.

No records of this bank have come to Group Archives.