This joint stock bank originated when a number of private banks in Cornwall amalgamated to establish a joint stock limited company. Bolitho, Sons and Co (Mount's Bay Bank) and Robins, Foster, Coode and Bolitho (East Cornwall Bank) were the prime movers, with their alliance in 1889. Over the next twelve months further mergers occured involving Hodge and Co of Devonport in 1889; Williams, Williams and Grylls of Falmouth; Willyams, Treffry and Co of St Austell, and Willyams, Willyams and Co of Truro in 1890. As a result the title of the firm changed to Bolitho, Williams, Foster, Coode, Grylls and Co Ltd otherwise known as the Consolidated Bank of Cornwall. Further mergers included Redruth District Bank in 1891, and Batten, Carne and Carne's Banking Co Ltd in 1896. The Consolidated Bank of Cornwall was acquired by Barclay and Co Ltd in 1905, this being the largest of Barclays' acquisitions up to 1914.
Material available at Group Archives:
- board minutes to 1893
- branch statistics
- balance records
- shareholders' registers and minutes