Bolitho, Sons and Co originated from the Bolitho family's financial dealings with the tin smelting and merchants' business in the 18th and 19th centuries. By 1835, banking activities were conducted under the name of Mount's Bay Bank from Penzance and St Ives. The bank continued to expand and opened new branches at St Just, Hayle and Helston, as well as buying the failed business of Helston Banking Co in 1879. In 1889, an alliance with Robins, Foster, Coode and Bolitho (East Cornwall Bank) led to the formation of a new company under the title of Bolitho, Foster, Coode and Co Ltd, Mount's Bay and East Cornwall Bank. This alliance prepared the way for a series of other amalgamations involving Hodge and Co of Devonport in 1889; and Williams, Williams and Grylls of Falmouth; Willyams, Treffry and Co of St Austell and Willyams, Willyams and Co of Truro in 1890. As a result the title of the firm changed to Bolitho, Williams, Foster, Coode, Grylls and Co Ltd otherwise known as the Consolidated Bank of Cornwall.
Material available at Group Archives: partners' ledgers; customer ledgers; cheques and bank notes.