Group Archives

Group Archives

search

Also known as the Naval and Commercial Bank, the firm was founded in 1804 under the original title of Glencross, Hodge and Norman at Plymouth Dock, Devonport. The terms of the partnership specified that the last surviving partner should own the bank. As a result, the business fell to the lot of William Hodge, hence the name Hodges Bank or the Devonport Bank circa 1855. The partners in Glencross, Hodge and Norman, are described as contractors to the Royal Navy as well as bankers. The firm was amalgamated with Bolitho, Williams, Foster, Coode, Grylls and Co Ltd in 1889.

Material available at Group Archives: early customer accounts; balance sheet 1889.