Group Archives

Group Archives

search

'The Miners' Bank' as it came to be known, was established formally in 1771 when Francis Bassett, John Rogers, Humphrey Mackworth-Praed, Sir William Lemon, James Willyams, John Lubbock and John Furley formed a partnership. Prior to 1771, a firm had issued bank notes in Truro and it is believed that this was the origin of the Miners' Bank. The bank initially drew its customers from the mining industry but soon won favour from county families, commercial interests and public institutions. By 1859, following a series of title changes, the firm was Willyams, Willyams and Co, until it was absorbed in 1890 by the new joint stock bank of Bolitho, Williams, Foster, Coode, Grylls and Co.

Material available in Group Archives: examples of cheques.