Group Archives

Group Archives

search

The Newmarket Bank was established in 1770 by the Hammond family in connection with their grocery business. Richard Eaton was asked to join the partnership in order to provide extra capital. From 1837, the bank traded as Eaton, Hammond and Co until 1861 when it became Hammond and Co. The business was acquired by Barclay and Co Ltd in 1905, one of the smallest country banks added to the Barclays Group.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • partners' ledgers 1790-1846
  • accounts with London agents 1800-46
  • bills of exchange registers 1788-1895
  • customer accounts 1804-13
  • examples of cheques and bank notes