Group Archives

Group Archives

search

John Leatham had provided quasi-banking services for customers at his shop in the Market Place at Pontefract for some time before entering into a formal partnership with James Jackson, Thomas Tew and Edward Trueman 1801. Initially, service was available in Pontefract and Doncaster but a third branch was opened in Wakefield when the business of Ingram, Kennet and Ingram was purchased. John Leatham and several of the family were Quakers. In 1834 the firm adopted the title Leatham, Tew and Co and remained so until the amalgamation with Barclay and Co Ltd in 1906.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • partnership agreements and papers 1801 onwards
  • ledgers and profit and loss accounts 1801 onwards
  • papers regarding the failure of Overend Gurney
  • bank notes (including forgeries)
  • registers 1822 onwards
  • customer accounts 1822-74
  • customer correspondence
  • information and opinions papers 1809 onwards
  • tax returns 1842 onwards
  • manager's letter-books 1882-97
  • staff appointment papers 1831-89
  • examples of cheques and pass books
  • amalgamation papers