Group Archives

Group Archives

search

The origins of this firm lie with the Bicester and Oxfordshire Bank. The bank was established in 1793 and operated offices in Oxford (known as Undershell's Bank) and Bicester. The partnership of the firm dissolved in 1855, leading to William Wooten and John Undersell taking control of the Oxford site. In 1883, the name changed to Wooten and Co until the business was acquired by Barclays and Co Ltd in 1909. It was the smallest bank acquired by Barclays in the period to 1914.

Material available at Group Archives: deeds of the Oxford premises.