Group Archives

Group Archives

search

William Simonds was initially involved with a bank called Micklem, Stephens, Simonds and Harris, established at Reading in 1791. In 1814, this partnership dissolved and Simonds entered a new agreement with his son Henry, two cousins, John and Charles Simonds, and a Mr Nicholson. Despite the collapse of neighbouring banking houses and the departure of Mr Nicholson in 1816, the bank continued to attract business. From 1839, the bank traded as John Simonds, Charles Simonds and Co, Reading Bank. In 1913 the bank amalgamated with Barclay and Co Ltd.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • balance books
  • general ledger
  • bank note register
  • staff salary records
  • photographs
  • discount records
  • run of customer ledgers 1814 onwards