Group Archives

Group Archives

search

The bank was founded in 1803 by Edmund Peckover and his nephew Charles Harris, both of Bradford. The bank was known as Peckover, Harris and Co. Edmund was related to the Peckovers of the Wisbech Bank and enjoyed close ties with the Gurneys and Birkbecks. Prior to this, the Peckovers were in business as woolstaplers and provided banking facilities to their customers, from which the banking business developed. In March 1864, the bank converted to a joint stock company with capital of one million pounds of shares £20 each. The bank prospered and expanded its business through 19 branches and 4 sub-branches. In 1907, the bank amalgamated with the Birmingham District and Counties Banking Co to form the United Counties Bank Ltd.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • early partnership papers
  • papers regarding Leeds Liverpool Canal Company 1784-1845
  • board minutes 1893-1903
  • shareholders' minutes
  • bank notes
  • customer signatures and correspondence
  • amalgamation papers
  • centenary booklet 1903