Group Archives

Group Archives

search

Harrison and Co was established at Knaresborough in 1785 and continued its separate existence until 1875 when the business was taken over by Bradford Old Bank. According to Hartley's 'Banking in Yorkshire' the founders were Thomas Terry, grocer, and Dr William Harrison. Little is known about the business except that in 1855, the partners were John, Thomas and John James Harrison. The bank expanded, with branches at Ripon, Harrogate, Pateley Bridge and Tadcaster as well as head office. John James Harrison and Thomas Wood were the surviving partners and became directors of Bradford Old Bank.

The bank is documented at Group Archives by a single bank note.