Group Archives

Group Archives

search

A joint stock bank which was established in Wakefield in 1832 as the Wakefield Banking Co. In 1840, it acquired the business of Beckett, Birks and Co of Barnsley and changed its title to the Wakefield and Barnsley Union Bank. It registered as a limited company in 1894 and it was absorbed by the Birmingham, District and Counties Bank in 1906.

Material available at Group Archives: board minutes from 1848; shareholders' register 1906; amalgamation papers.