Group Archives

Group Archives

search

This joint stock bank was established in 1863 and spread its network over a wide area with branches at Hereford, Kington, Nuneaton, Wellington, Peterborough, and Shrewsbury. It acquired two small private banks: Goodricke and Holyoake of Wolverhampton and Saxton Brothers of Market Drayton. In 1865, it purchased branches at Leeds, Huddersfield and Sheffield from the London and Northern Bank and a branch at Longton from the London, Birmingham and South Staffordshire Bank. By 1881 the directors resolved that it had 'outgrown its resources' and decided to amalgamate with the Birmingham, Dudley and District Banking Co.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • board and committee minutes
  • shareholders' minutes
  • branch statistics and correspondence
  • head office instructions