This early joint stock bank was established in 1836 with nominal capital of £500,000. There was no note issue. The head office was at Colmore Row, Birmingham. The deed of settlement reveals the involvement of local businessmen in the venture: Edward Armfield of Edgbaston (merchant and button manufacturer), George Joseph Green of Handsworth (glass manufacturer), George Calley Lingham (button manufacturer) and John Gibson Reeves both of Birmingham (factor), Philip Willliams of Stafford (iron master), George Bacchus and Josiah Richards of Edgbaston, who were appointed chairman and deputy chairman respectively. In 1871 a decision was taken to extend the interests of the business beyond Birmingham. Consequently in 1874, the bank absorbed the Dudley and West Bromwich Banking Co (founded as a private partnership in 1797) and became known as the Birmingham, Dudley and District Banking Co.
Material available at Group Archives:
- deeds of settlement
- board minutes
- private ledgers
- shareholders' minutes and list
- staff rules and salary lists