Group Archives

Group Archives

search

This early joint stock bank was established with capital of £400,000 in 8,000 shares of £50 each, and commenced business on 1 Jan 1834. The bank came about after the private banking group led by Hordern, Molineux and Co, Wolverhampton, was converted in the early 1830s into three joint stock banks. Hence, Hordern, Molineux and Co, of Dudley, became the Dudley and West Bromwich Banking Co. In 1835, a branch was opened at West Bromwich followed by further branches at Bilston (1866), Cradley Heath (1872) and Smethwick (1873). In 1874 the bank amalgamated with the Birmingham Town and District Bank to create the Birmingham, Dudley and District Banking Co.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • deeds of settlement
  • board minutes
  • private ledger including profit and loss
  • customer information books
  • staff rules 1869