Group Archives

Group Archives

search

The bank was constituted with nominal capital of £1,000,000 in 50,000 shares of £20 each. The head office was in Bristol and branches were opened at Bath, Barnstaple, Bridgwater, Cardiff, Exeter, Newport, Swansea, Taunton and Wells. By the close of 1862, there were 32 branches and 42 by 1876. In 1878, the bank stopped payment and the London and Provincial Bank took over its branches and many of the managers.

Material available at Group Archives: letter regarding suspension of payment 1878.