The private bank of Clinch and Co was established in 1796. The banking business evolved from the partners discounting bills for local farmers and traders. The bank moved to new premises next to the Marlborough Hotel in the early 1800s and began to open accounts for its customers. By 1823, the partnership was known as John Clinch and Son, and by 1832 John Williams Clinch had become a partner. He was followed into the partnership by his two sons, James and William Clinch. On the death of James Clinch in 1877, the surviving partner, William, entered into an arrangement with Gillett and Co of Oxford. This bank was formed as an offshoot of Gillett's Bank of Banbury in January 1877 by Charles and Alfred Gillett. The new banking partnership was known as Gilletts and Clinch. Clinch and Co had issued their own bank notes which was probably the main reason for the amalgamation as it allowed Gillett and Co to issue bank notes at Oxford. On the death of William Clinch in 1891 the Witney Bank became a branch of Gillett and Co of Oxford.
Material available at Group Archives: partners' ledger 1803-25.