Gunner and Co, also known as the Bishops Waltham and Hampshire Bank, was the last remaining 'private and family' country bank in England when it amalgamated with Barclays in 1953. The bank had been established in 1809, and from this time enjoyed continued association with Barclays who acted as its London agents. The Bishops Waltham and Hampshire Bank was established on 4 October 1809. The main partner was William Gunner, a solicitor who had been entrusted with money from farmers in the area before a banking licence was sought. He went into partnership with Thomas Fox, merchant, Stephen Steele, gentleman and John Seymour, surgeon. The banking business was conducted in William Gunner's own house, where it remained until 1953. The Gunner family were involved in the bank for four generations and even furnished the business with a female partner, Caroline Gunner, one of very few such women in the 19th century. Caroline inherited her husband's share of the business when he died and she became senior partner on 1 August 1872. She continued the business in partnership with Thomas Ridge and Thomas Fox, and later in sole control until 1890 when she took her sons into partnership with her. Caroline Gunner retained an interest in banking until her death in 1906. The link with the Gunner family in the area's banking business was retained by Barclays, as F H Gunner joined Barclays as a local director in 1953.
Material available at Group Archives: partners' ledgers including accounts with Barclays; customer account ledgers; cheques.