Group Archives

Group Archives

search

Francis Biddulph of Ledbury, Herefordshire started this London bank in partnership with James and Thomas Summers Cocks, sons of Sir Charles Cocks of Eastnor in 1757. The first address was near St Paul's but they moved to the site later known as 43 Charing Cross in 1759. The Biddulph and Martins families were connected and owned adjoining properties at Overbury and Ledbury. In 1886, the partners acquired the business of Codd and Co of Westminster, including many army accounts. The Bank of Liverpool and Martins took over Cocks, Biddulph from 1 July 1919, by which time the Charing Cross address was known as Whitehall.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • partners' records including early ledger 1760s
  • country bank ledgers 1775-1801
  • balance books and sheets 1875 onwards
  • early customer accounts including pre-1800
  • signature books 19th century
  • securities registers
  • loan books 1853 onwards
  • staff register 1899 onwards
  • photographs of partners
  • history booklet