Group Archives

Group Archives

search

Palatine Bank was founded by a group of Manchester businessmen 'as a means of counteracting the increasing tendency to bank mergers and consequent migration of their control to London,' and was incorporated on 30 August 1899 with an office at Cross Street. It soon opened branches in Oldham, Shaw and Rochdale, followed by smaller branches in the southern suburbs of Manchester. A new head office was erected at Brown Street in 1910. When the amalgamation with the Bank of Liverpool and Martins was agreed in 1919, by which time deposits totalled £1m, the Palatine's directors made it conditional on the establishment of a Manchester local board.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • board minutes
  • instructions to managers
  • shareholders' registers
  • press cuttings
  • amalgamation papers