Group Archives

Group Archives

search

The West Riding Union Bank evolved out of private banks operating in Huddersfield, Mirfield and Dewsbury. The Mirfield bank was established in 1799 by Benjamin Wilson. He extended the business into Huddersfield and took his sons into partnership as Benjamin Wilson and Sons. Benjamin Wilson served on the provisional committee for the establishment of a joint stock company to continue the business of the private partnership. Thus, the Mirfield and Huddersfield District Banking Co was established by deed of settlement in December 1832, with the Wilsons being principal shareholders. It was decided to alter the name to the West Riding Union Banking Co after the acquisition of Hagues, Cook and Co of Dewsbury in 1836. After the amalgamation, the board met alternately at Huddersfield and Dewsbury. In 1874, the Bank was incorporated under the Companies Act, in 1881 the Company adopted limited liability, and in 1902 it amalgamated with the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • deeds of settlement
  • board minutes
  • private minutes
  • annual reports 1863 onwards
  • shareholders' list 1847
  • applications for clerkships 1832
  • branch statistics
  • salary register