Group Archives

Group Archives

search

Founded in 1857 as the British Mutual Investment, Loan and Discount Company, 'to continue and develop for traders what had formerly been non-trading co-partnerships consisting of lenders and borrowers who had equally shared profit or loss.' In 1869, it was renamed as the British Mutual Investment Co Ltd. The original directors were the founders of the Prudential Assurance Co. In 1882 it was renamed again as the British Mutual Banking Co Ltd. and again in 1945 as the British Mutual Bank Ltd. When the company began to transact banking business, the Prudential appointed a representative on the board. In 1951 it was taken over by Martins Bank Ltd.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • prospectus 1857
  • annual reports
  • ledgers and accounting papers
  • board minutes 1923-62
  • shareholders' registers
  • customer signature books
  • amalgamation papers