Group Archives

Group Archives

search

The Bank of Liverpool was one of the early joint stock banks to be formed following the 1826 Banking Act. Its foundation was part of the movement for reform in Liverpool, the early chairmen and directors being important members of Liverpool's merchant class. It was a highly successful bank which grew both organically, and by acquiring a number of smaller banks including Arthur Heywood and Co, the Kendal Bank, the Craven Bank, the Carlisle and Cumberland Banking Co and the North Eastern Bank. In 1918, it merged with Martins, an old City clearing bank in Lombard Street, to form the Bank of Liverpool and Martins Ltd. (see separate entries for both of these banks).

One of the more significant joint stock banks in the Barclays Group, its comprehensive records at the Group Archives include:

  • deeds of settlement
  • board minutes (complete run)
  • private minutes 1834-86
  • annual reports and accounts
  • shareholders' registers
  • a rare series of customer reference/opinion books 1835 onwards
  • Langton Papers (letters from agents in London and Manchester 1831-38)
  • staff fidelity bonds 1862-1911
  • salary lists 1864-1904
  • press cuttings
  • photographs
  • branch records including statistics and premises records
  • amalgamation papers